Council on Outdoor RecreationJoe Vivona2023-10-20T10:43:03-05:00
From the invention of windshield wipers to the Saturn V rocket that put man on the moon, Alabama is rooted in innovation. Innovate Alabama is harnessing this ingenuity to prepare the state for the economy of the future. For the past several years, public and private leaders have come together to advance innovation and technology through public policy, focusing on talent recruitment and retention, economic development and entrepreneurship.
To foster a robust, inclusive economy and drive Alabama forward, Innovate Alabama joined forces with Alabama native Condoleezza Rice and Stanford University’s Hoover Institution to conduct extensive research to help us grow smart. A primary takeaway from this research was the opportunity to leverage Alabama’s natural resources to help innovators grow roots here, thus the Innovate Alabama Council on Outdoor Recreation was formed.
Council on Outdoor Recreation
In August 2022, the Innovate Alabama Board of Directors formed the Council on Outdoor Recreation to advise the board on strategies to achieve three primary goals:
Expand Alabama’s outdoor recreation industry
Enhance the state’s attractiveness for a skilled workforce
Yield substantial returns for both rural and urban communities
The Council on Outdoor Recreation and its advisory roundtable seek to expand, promote and protect Alabama’s outdoor recreational assets for the enjoyment of current and future Alabamians. The council will also provide recommendations for the utilization of those assets as innovative economic development tools.
Council on Outdoor Recreation 2023 Recommendations
1. Build a comprehensive, regularly updated inventory of all Alabama outdoor recreation assets.
2. Create a website that’s a central hub for all outdoor recreation assets in Alabama.
3. Develop a comprehensive, long-term outdoor recreation asset branding, marketing and advertising plan for the state of Alabama.
4. Engage with state government agencies to improve and streamline the process for obtaining existing outdoor recreation funds.
5. Establish a permanent Council on Outdoor Recreation within Innovate Alabama.
6. Hire staff and establish programs within Innovate Alabama that are focused on and dedicated to promoting outdoor recreation.
7. Identify ways to cooperate with other states, cities and organizations to boost awareness about our Alabama outdoor recreation assets.
8. Organize and host an annual Alabama outdoor recreation summit/conference.
9. Develop a comprehensive, competitive analysis of what other similar states are doing well and a plan for replicating or improving upon their successes in utilizing outdoor recreation assets to retain and attract talent.
10.Leverage existing studies to guide planning and implementation efforts.
11. Bolster economic development recruitment efforts by ensuring that economic development partners have marketing assets to use in touting Alabama’s outdoor recreation resources in their pitches to both in-state and out-of-state businesses and entrepreneurs.
12. Identify large, high-profile, high-impact development opportunities, and actively recruit developers for those specific projects, possibly offering tailored economic incentives or tax credits.
13. Advocate for long-term, dedicated, sustainable funding in-state budgets for maintaining, enhancing and coordinating the promotion of outdoor recreation assets.
Are you interested in learning more about Alabama’s innovation ecosystem or have an idea about how we can further innovation in the state?
We encourage you to share your questions, comments, or ideas with us here.